Ok – so it’s Valentine’s Day. There’s no need for expensive flowers, jewellery or dinners, but it is the perfect day to at least acknowledge your love for your partner. And it’s a good day to consider ways to re-energise your relationship if it’s in a bit of a rut.
Here are five easy ways to reconnect:
1. Celebrate everything – birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine’s Day, and successes. Again, it’s not about the money spent. It’s the opportunity to reconnect.
2. Laugh – watch comedies, go to a comedy show, remind each other of funny times, collect funny stories to tell each other at the end of the day.
3. Reminisce – what attracted you to each other in the first place? What were the early days like? Who did you hang out with and where are they now? Look through photos and videos.
4. Revisit old haunts – is your favourite cheap and cheerful restaurant still in existence? Can you drive or walk past your old flat/house? Where did you used to study or work? How did you spend your weekends? Can you recreate some memories?
5. Validate – nothing shows your partner that you care more than simply saying: I understand. That makes sense. No wonder you’re upset/tired/angry/frustrated.